Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cucumber Avocado soup with Prosciutto-wrapped Melon

Jill

It's finally fixed! It seemed like forever, but my computer is finally fully functioning and operational. In celebration, I'd like to post some of the things I've been hanging on to for the past few weeks.

Lately, there have been a lot of unbelievably hot, muggy nights. They're the type of nights that don't really lend themselves to standing over a hot stove or cranking the oven. If you're in the same boat, try this combo out and see how quickly you become refreshed.

Cucumber Avocado soup with Prosciutto-wrapped Melon

(The soup is an adaptation of this soup from Citron & Vanille)
For the Soup:
2 Haas avocados
3 Tbsp of unflavored coconut-milk based yogurt (or soy yogurt if you can't find coconut)
1/2 English cucumber
1 Lemon (the original calls for a meyer lemon, which I'm sure is better, but I couldn't find any)
2 Scallions
1 cup of veggie stock
Ground Cayenne pepper for garnish

Cut the avocado into chunks. Peel the cucumber, cut in half, and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Chop the cucumber roughly. Slice the scallions.

Add the avocado, cucumber, yogurt, scallions, and stock to a blender. Juice the lemon into the blender and puree. Chill in the fridge, or serve immediately. When ready to serve, garnish with a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper.

For the Melon:
This really doesn't require much of a recipe. I used a honeydew melon, but I've seen this done with cantaloupe and even watermelon. If you want to be fancy, you can use a melon baller and secure the prosciutto in place with a toothpick. I was starving and not really thinking about presentation, so I just chopped the melon into chunks and wrapped a strip of prosciutto around each one. Here is a handy link if you're looking at a honeydew melon, like I was, and wondering how the hell to chop your way through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment