Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Berlin Frühstück

Georgeanne 
Breakfast in (continental) Europe is different than back in the USA. One of many things I miss about home is a nice big diner breakfast complete with endless cups of (American) coffee, eggs, pancakes and fake maple syrup. I’m really hungry right now. In Germany, Switzerland and Austria, hotel/hostel breakfasts usually involve rolls, butter, jam, granola, and platters of cold cuts and cheese. Being a cheapskate, I eat granola for breakfast then make myself a sandwich for lunch and sneak it out in a napkin. Exception: this one time in Frankfurt I stayed in the Hilton and the breakfast was this ridiculous buffet with any type of breakfast food you can imagine.

Anyway – my friend and I skipped out on hostel breakfast and went to this café recommended by one of her friends near the Brandenburg Gates for breakfast one day. Cafes in Germany and Austria (and a few here in France) have newspapers hanging up on and held together by long sticks. You’re welcome to take one down and read it over breakfast or coffee.



I ordered an omelette at this place and it was delicious. The wide shot was blurry so you’re stuck with my pickle close-up. It was rich and heavy with potatoes and bacon (recurring theme) inside, topped with fresh chives and tomatoes, pickles(dill, not sweet) and more roasted potatoes. It also came with a side of potatoes.

Here’s what I do to make an omelette like this:
  • A swig of olive oil
  • Small potato (I like the red ones), diced
  • Small onion
  • 2 or 3 large eggs
  • 2 strips of bacon cut into small pieces
  • A swig of cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up the small-ish potato into cubes and fry in some oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion as you want and fry with the potatoes until golden.
- When the onions and potatoes are almost done, add the bacon to the pan. When the bacon is done but  
   not crispy, put the contents of the pan on a plate and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat 2 or 3 eggs with a swig of heavy cream
- Dump the egg mix in the pan, keeping it over the heat.
- After about 30 seconds add the onion/potato/bacon mix to the egg. Let it sit for a few seconds then fold over.

Garnish ideas: fresh parsley, chives fresh tomatoes, small dill pickles, ketchup.


 These are the potatoes that came with my potato omlette. One of my favorite ways to prepare potatoes like this is to use duck fat. Fat makes everything delicious. 
  • Take a few potatoes – I usually use the red ones, but whatever.
  • Cover them in a few good spoonfuls of duck fat. 
  • Season with salt and pepper and fresh rosemary
  • Throw them in the oven at 450F until they’re done. 
No I’m not being precise, just poke them after 20 minutes and see if they’re soft. If they aren’t then leave them for another 10. With stuff like this I just go without really using any precise measurements.

No comments:

Post a Comment